Last Updated: Jul 10, 2017 05:00PM CEST
Many municipalities in California regulate vacation rentals. Property owners should be aware of the variation of these regulations depending on the municipalities.
In many municipalities, the property owner has to obtain obtain business licenses or other special licenses to operate short-term vacation rentals. Once you have your inscription number (Rental License number), it must be included in all advertising you do for the property. Failure to include your inscription in your advertising could lead to fines for both owner and advertising channel.

Who should apply?

It is mandatory for all property managers to check the local regulations for vacation rentals, especially if they are allowed to rent out accommodations and if a license is needed.

Specific rules for California

The municipal laws for vacation rentals vary significantly and may include:
  • Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT)
  • Minimum rental periods 
  • Zoning ordinances. In some municipalities, short-term vacation rentals are prohibited near other short-term rentals or limited to certain geographic areas. Moreover, a maximum number of vacation rental days or occupants can be demanded. 
  • Registration and Licensing

Read more information on what to be aware of when managing vacation rentals in California here.
The registration and application for the vacation rental licenses can be found on the webpage of each municipality.

Please note that regulations can easily change. We advise you to check the official pages of your local municipality in order to have the most updated information.
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found